The long wait for Boracay closure is over. After the half year shut-down of the island, world-renowned tourist destination Boracay is set to open its way to local neighborhood this week starting October 15 to 25, and will formally reopen to both domestic and foreign tourists on October 26.
The locals who will participate on the dry run activities are from Aklan and Western Visayas. They will arrive in port from their ferries through temporary docks that have been set up in Boracay Station 2 and 3, and will be given the chance to have the first preview of how Boracay looks like now. Environment Chief Roy Cimatu said the test-run will allow them to evaluate what needs to be done before the “soft opening” on October 26.
It was noted that the island has been ordered the closure to tourists since April 26 to make way for its environmental rehabilitation after President Rodrigo Duterte declared that it had become a “cesspool.” Fortunately, Boracay’s white beach water which was previously contaminated with sewage has now been declared safe for swimming and for other water activities.
“All Boracay island accommodation establishments that are not compliant with DILG and DENR requirements and are not yet accredited with the DOT are hereby strongly advised to cease and desist from making room bookings or sale for occupancy starring October 26 until such time that all requirements for opening their establishments are in order,” the DOT said.
DOT added only establishments that have complied with the governments will be allowed to start operations.